RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A Richmond daycare was evacuated this morning after crews hit an abandoned gas line.
It happened around 9:30 this morning at 21st and Broad streets in Church Hill.
The gas leak forced 43 children and 9 teachers from the Central Montessori School. They were placed on two GRTC buses to stay out of the heat.
Fire officials monitored air quality in the neighborhood and re-opened the area after about two hours.
Seven homes and other businesses are in the area, but there were no other reported evacuations.
Parents were notified to come and get their children. Because the students were going to be outside more than an hour, GRTC buses arrived to give children shelter from the heat until parents arrived.