UPDATE: SUV Removed from Downtown Building

By Gene Petriello - bio | email
Posted by Terry Alexander - email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) – UPDATE: The SUV is now out of the building it crashed into over the weekend. This is all unfolding at the Marshall Street Cafe on W. Marshall and Adams Street.

Also, we are being told that the reason why the cleanup may be taking longer than some expect is because this is a historic building that was damaged. That historic building has to have every single brick saved, if possible.

"We can probably take them to a salvage brickyard and they usually have an inventory from previously demolished buildings and match it," said business owner Kelvin Hanson.

We have a crew on the scene and will continue to update this story as it develops.


Original Post:

Tuesday crews will shut down several streets downtown where an SUV is holding up a building. The fire department told NBC12, as crews work to stabilize the building, East Marshall Street between North Brook and North First Streets, along with North Adams Street between East Clay and East Broad Streets, will be closed to all traffic.

Crews are hoping by Wednesday night, the site on the corner of East Marshall and North First Streets will look completely different, as they'll be able to remove this SUV. There's a long day of work and traffic detours to come.

Moments after hearing the screeching of brakes and a loud boom, a neighbor captured footage of the efforts to rescue the South Carolina family in a debris covered SUV.

As the days pass, the scene changes; crews bring in large construction equipment to stabilize the building and eventually remove the car. It takes time because one wrong move could spell disaster. Taking that into consideration, Richmond Fire Lt. Shawn Jones hopes the gawking public won't get in the way.

"People should pretty much avoid the area," Jones said. "I know it's drawn a lot of spectators out but pretty much avoid the area.  People are going to see heavy equipment coming in the area the fire department will have a presence."

Monday night, large forklifts, which were installed earlier in the day, held up the roof and second floor.

It's a complicated puzzle. If crews don't create some sort of support system for the ceiling of the first floor, before removing any of the fallen beams, more of the building could come falling down.

After all that work is complete and the SUV is yanked out, crews will install a plywood wall and tarp to keep the area water tight.

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved