Overnight hazmat scare in Prince George - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Overnight hazmat scare in Prince George

Written by Gene Petriello - bio | email
Posted by Iva Radman – email

PRINCE GEORGE, VA (WWBT) - Hazmat crews responded to an evacuation scare at a Food Lion distribution center.

An ammonia leak that caused 2 people to be taken to the hospital was at the center of it all. Both people were having trouble breathing, but they are expected to be okay.

It all unfolded last night at Food Lion's distribution center in Prince George County off of Route 460.

An alarm went off inside the warehouse after a compressor for one of the refrigeration units at the center broke, leaking ammonia gas into the air.

As soon as that alarm went off, everything was shut off and the distribution center was evacuated.

Emergency responders say the cleanup was easier since the gas evaporated into the air.

It took hazmat crews a little over an hour to make sure everything was okay, and the distribution center was reopened around 2:30 Thursday morning.

A third person was also treated. No emergency responders were injured, and no one around the area had to be evacuated.

Copyright 2010 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly