HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - New information tonight about the death of a Henrico toddler. Christian Stephens, 3, was found dead last week of blunt-force injuries to the head. But tonight, the man accused of the child's murder, says he didn't do it. The suspect's denial came through his attorney. The comment, though, is at odds with what investigators saw, according to the search warrant we obtained.
Kevin Lucas, 45, has neither been seen, nor heard from publicly since the night of April 15, when he was accused of murdering three-year-old Christian Stephens. But that all changed when his attorney revealed new information in the case.
Lucas was home, on Farrell Court, at the same apartment where the boy was found dead. According to a quote first reported in this morning's Richmond Times-Dispatch, Lucas told his attorney the boy "had run into a wall, and wasn't feeling well."
According to a search warrant, though, police responded to a "possible homicide". The child had a "swollen laceration", "bruising about his body", and was "cold to the touch". Whether the new information will sway the case, is not immediately clear.
Back at the apartments, most neighbors weren't home, and the ones who were declined to comment, saying they didn't know enough about the situation. They pointed us in the direction of the child's former babysitter, who also wasn't home as of late this afternoon and did not return a phone message.
The medical examiner maintains the cause of death was "homicide", adding that the boy died from "inflicted blunt force injuries to the head." According to police, Lucas remains the only suspect.
The boy's mother, Maria Stephens, met today with the investigator, but no one's talking about the outcome of that meeting. A funeral for Christian Stephens will be held this Friday at Scott's Funeral Home in Richmond.