RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) – A 2-alarm fire on Richmond's northside Friday night, and local fire officials are worried this weekend's cold snap will only bring them trouble.
Investigators tell us an overloaded electrical socket is likely the cause of the fire at a two-story home in the 2300 block of Second Avenue. The call came in just after 5:30. Neighbors reported the back porch of the structure was engulfed in flames.
Both occupants made it out safely. With snow and temperatures dipping into the teens this weekend, fire officials have this warning.
"Please, please, please - maintain safe distances for heating appliances. If you have a space heater, make sure you allow the 3 foot clearance, let's be extremely vigilant during these cold times," said Richmond Fire Department Lt. Shawn Jones.
The two occupants are being assisted by the Red Cross.