Building deemed safe after furnace repaired - NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Building deemed safe after furnace repaired

By Evrod Cassimy – bio | email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Residents are finally being let back in to their apartment building on the 500 block of North Boulevard Thursday night after a carbon monoxide scare. Two girls were taken to the hospital after being found unconscious due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

"The maintenance guy called me," said resident, Margaret Doyle. "I was at work and I just came flying home, and he said get home as soon as possible."

It was a scary moment for residents including Sue Martin who thankfully wasn't home at the time. She was mostly worried about her pets trapped inside.

"I go running up to the building and the lady's going ‘no, no, no, you can't go in there' and I said ‘the dogs, the dogs' and she says ‘is one a black lab and one a little terrier' and I said ‘yes' and she says ‘we got them."

The call initially came in as a woman unconscious on this porch. Once fire crews got inside they found another victim unconscious and immediately evacuated the building and rescued animals before they were able to determine the cause.

"We have identified it as being a loose vent pipe for the heating system," said Shawn Jones with the Richmond Fire Department. "This stresses the importance of having a carbon monoxide detector in your home."

The two victims were transported in stable condition and are expected to be okay.

(c) 2010. WWBT, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly