Carytown New Years Eve off, most merchants are glad

By Gene Petriello - bio | email

RICHMOND (WWBT) - For the first time in four years, the Carytown Merchant's Association New Year's Eve party will not happen. Most of the businesses in the Association said they are glad, while others are disappointed the business they make on the night is gone.

For the past three years, Tony Brown made it an annual event to join thousands watch the ball rise on New Year's Eve.

"Richmond has a very tight sense of community. It really showed that community when everyone came together," Brown said.

But this year, Brown and his friends won't come together in Carytown. The ball won't rise. The party is over.

"I don't know where everything is going to go and I don't know what I'm going to do," Brown added.

Carytown Merchant's Association President Thom Suddeth says it's really not a loss for most businesses in the association to lose the event this year.

"The fact is we all thought it was a great event but we lost so much money on it. We just couldn't go forward with it," Suddeth said.

He says, $54,000 was lost in three years of hosting the event. He adds, the party likely won't be coming back to Carytown in the future. Also, it's also a big question if it comes back at all.

That's disappointing news for Susan Doyle. She bought a restaurant and bar across from the Byrd Theatre in October, thinking New Year's Eve would be a cash flowing night.

"We were very excited. So, we'll look forward to next year and hope it's in Carytown next year," Doyle said.

Now, her new place won't be ready for New Year's Eve and the money won't be coming in. But, her mission is still the same.

"You don't do anything different. You just put the word out there that you're open and move on if everything is normal," Doyle added.

Things though will be anything but normal for Brown on New Year's Eve. "Boring house parties. The traditional boring house parties."

Suddeth tells us, while some did not agree with the price it cost to pay for the security police requested for the night, he sees the need for it, in case something happened during the event.

We tried to talk with the Mayor's Office to see if the even would be coming back in the future. Our calls were not returned before airtime.

(c) 2009. WWBT, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.