Five-hour SWAT standoff in Chesterfield ends in arrest

By Laura Geller - bio | email
Posted by Phil Riggan – email

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT) - A standoff in Chesterfield ends in an arrest.

Authorities spent five hours yesterday trying to negotiate with an armed, convicted felon who refused to come out of a house on Clearlake Road, near Courthouse Road.

Residents who live in the home say there's a lot more to the story.

Police charged Joseph Scott, 44, with possession of a firearm by a felon.  Scott is a convicted sex offender. After a scene that kept the entire neighborhood awake and on edge, residents in the home where Scott was staying talked to us to set the record straight.

It was the shot that started a five hour standoff.

"All of the sudden we heard a gunshot in his room … he fired a weapon in his room," said Gina Houchens, who lives in the home where the suspect was barricaded.

Houchens and her godson Phillip Lee were in a different part of their house when they say Lee's uncle, Joseph Scott, just snapped.

"He barricaded himself in the bathroom and we could hear the gun clicking, like he had took the bullets out of the gun," Houchens said.

According to family and police, Scott is a convicted sex offender.

"We don't know where the gun come from, how he got access to get a gun," Lee said. "We don't know none of that, it's like we were in the blind of everything."

They called Chesterfield police who brought in the SWAT team when Scott refused to surrender.  Neighbors we talked to say they heard negotiators on the loudspeaker for hours, saying things like "come out with your hands up."  One neighbor said the tear gas canisters shot into the home sounded like fireworks. That's when SWAT officers entered and arrested Scott.

The call came into dispatch as a disturbance between residents, but police tell us that could mean a number of different things.  Houchens says there are rumors flying around her neighborhood.

"This wasn't a domestic.  This wasn't no drug deal gone bad.  This wasn't none of that," Houchens said. "This was just a crazy damn man that just snapped."

Scott is behind bars and should go before a judge Monday morning.  No one was hurt in the original incident, standoff or arrest.

(c) 2009. WWBT, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.