RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Several members of the panel that investigated the Virginia Tech massacre are willing to go back to work. The news comes one day after Governor Kaine said it would be problematic to reconvene the panel.
This may be the most iconic image from April 16 2007. Kevin Sterne being carried out of Norris Hall.
It was seen by the world. Now, Kevin's mother, Suzanne Grimes wants the world to take another look at what happened that fateful day.
"I think the governor needs to be aware that the some of the members of the panel have told the families. That they'd be more than willing to meet," said Suzanne.
Col. Gerald Massengil, the former leader of the review panel, told NBC12 by phone this afternoon it's the governor's call, but he knows several members are willing to come back.
It was one week ago today we learned the shooter, Seung Hui Cho's medical records had been found in the home of the former director of Virginia Tech's counseling center. They were brought to light by a civil suit filed by two families who did not accept a settlement with the state.
"Do we regret signing it? Well yes and no. Why does it take a civil case to get information revealed," she said.
In a letter to the victims and the university, Virginia Tech's president, Charles Steger says he wants Cho's medical records made public as soon as possible.
He said, quote, "I know that all of us in the Virginia Tech community are hopeful that the discovery of these long missing records might fill an important hole in the investigation and panel review and provide greater understanding of this horrible and tragic loss of life."